Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship
Harness IP’s Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship provides diverse, first and second year law students with career mentoring and financial assistance as they explore their interest in intellectual property law, gain a better understanding of working in an intellectual property law firm, and continue to excel in law school.
The Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship & Career Development Program includes:
- Paid summer clerkship with Harness IP in one or more of its four Metro offices (Dallas, TX; Detroit, Ml; St. Louis, MO; Washington, DC), compensated at Harness IP’s standard summer associate rates.
- $5,000 in law school tuition assistance upon successful completion of candidate’s summer clerkship with the firm.
- Mentor that is assigned for the summer clerkship will also be available to assist the student during the following school year..
- The Fellowship may be renewed after completion of another summer clerkship with Harness IP based on mutual agreement.
To be eligible for the Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship & Career Development Program, candidates must:
- Be a member of one of the underrepresented racial/ethnic groups defined by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, a member of the LGBTQ community, or an individual with a disability.
- Be in good standing as a law student at an ABA-accredited law school.
- Have a degree in engineering, life sciences, chemistry, computer science, or have substantial prior trademark, copyright, or related job experience.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities and community involvement.
- Contribute to diversity efforts through involvement in law school or other community efforts.
- Be a U.S. citizen or authorized to work in the U.S.
- Complete a clerkship with the firm.
- Have a strong interest in joining Harness IP as an associate after law school graduation.
To be considered as a candidate for the Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship & Career Development Program, candidates must provide the following documents:
- A Completed Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship & Career Development Program Application (Must complete on or before February 15, 2023)
- Current resume
- Undergraduate and law school transcripts
- Personal statement (500 words or more) addressing how the candidate will contribute to the legal profession diversity goals
- Two professional or academic references
- Legal writing sample
- Any other pertinent information a candidate believes may be helpful for the firm to know
A selection panel consisting of the firm CEO and the chairs of various other firm committees, including but not limited to the Diversity & Inclusion Committee, will evaluate all applications and select Program recipients.
Harness IP is currently accepting applications for the 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship. Please submit completed application forms and all attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before February 15, 2023.
Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship is not just another summer job. The students who join our program will see the full picture as to what is needed to be an attorney when they complete law school. They are in the front seat, working alongside the brightest attorneys in the industry and receiving the work experience and training as they continue their learning journey.