Hamad B. Mirza
Associate / Detroit Metro Office
Hamad’s lifelong fascination with design processes and complex, design-based concepts and products shapes his legal practice.
Hamad is particularly interested in helping clients at HarnessIP develop and protect intellectual property. He advocates for them in all phases of the design process, with a specific focus on the legal protections necessary to bring concepts successfully to market.
Hamad has experience in complex patent and trademark matters. He helps clients by drafting and prosecuting patent applications, and conducting patentability and clearance searches. His work in trademarks includes competitive research, as well as trademark prosecution and protection. He also regularly assists with patent litigation preparation, including conducting legal research and drafting memos.
In the News
- “Get to Know Hamad Mirza,” Detroit Legal News, August 4, 2021
- The Use of ‘For the Avoidance of Doubt’ in IP License Agreements: Please Stop! (ipwatchdog.com)
Awards & Distinctions
- Wayne State University, Mock Trial Competition Finalist, 2021
- Wayne State University, Mock Trial Competition Semi-Finalist, 2020
- Wayne State University, Bronze Key Award, 2019
Hamad began his career as an intern at Fiat Chrysler working on automotive seat design. He continued to use his engineering skills as an ergonomics engineer, advocating for design modifications in the development of many of Fiat Chrysler’s vehicle models and their driver environments. His interest in championing and protecting specific product design modifications led him to concentrate on IP law during law school.
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association (MIPLA)
- Michigan Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- Student Board of Governors, Wayne State University, 3L Evening Governor, 2021
- Wayne Intellectual Property Student Association, Vice President, 2020
- Wayne Intellectual Property Student Association, Treasurer, 2019
Hamad is a native of Detroit. He enjoys being physically active and concentrates on improving his yoga practice. He also enjoys spending time with friends and family.
J.D., Wayne State University, 2021
B.S., cum laude, Biomedical Engineering Honors, Wayne State University, 2017
Bar & Court Admissions