April M. Minarik
Associate / Detroit Metro Office
April’s practice is focused on protecting clients’ trademarks, web domains, and published works and helping them realize the full potential of their intellectual property (IP). She has an abiding respect for the creative process and its outcomes and works to protect the value of clients’ IP.
April handles a variety of matters at HarnessIP, including U.S. and international trademark enforcement and prosecution; copyright submissions; IP portfolio management; and domain name investigations and resolutions.
As a former IP paralegal and legal assistant, April has dedicated her career to achieving outstanding results in protecting clients’ IP. Her unique perspective and career experiences allow her to anticipate the needs of clients and solve problems before they arise. April’s analytical and organizational skills guide her ability to move matters efficiently and effectively through various government and regulatory agencies.
- Two dozen wins resulting in transfer of disputed domains to clients. Work includes investigating domain names related to client trademark portfolios and composing domain name dispute complaints.
- Portfolio management of U.S. and international trademarks, including enforcement proceedings and coordination of document legalization, especially in China.
- Conduct domestic and international searches related to client IP portfolios.
- Review trademark agreements, assignments, and business filing reports.
- Research and provide recommendations regarding potentially infringing trademarks.
- Prepare and submit Electronic System for Trademark Trials and Appeals (ESTTA) filings with the USPTO and TTAB.
- Oversee trademark deadlines, produce client-specific reports, and maintain trademark litigation docket in CompuLaw litigation software.
April has always been fascinated by brands and their associated IP — specifically, trademark and copyright protections in the country music and sports industries, and has translated those interests into a vibrant legal career.
A licensed attorney since 2009, April worked as an IP paralegal and legal assistant for many years before evolving into her role as an associate. She has supplied recommendations to educate clients through a wide range of patent, trademark, and copyright matters. Her considerable IP background, excellent management skills, and unique perspective allow her to counsel clients and find creative solutions to their complex matters.
April lives in Central Michigan, where she and her significant other raise cattle and chickens, cultivate a quarter acre produce garden, and farm corn, soybeans, wheat, and hay.
AWARDS & DISTINCTIONS
- Best Lawyers, Litigation – Intellectual Property, “Ones to Watch,” 2024
State Bar of Michigan, Intellectual Property Section; Agricultural Section
L.L.M., Western Michigan University, 2014
J.D., Western Michigan University, 2009
B.S., Siena Heights University, 2004
Bar & Court Admissions