Michael J. Thomas (Mike)
Principal / St. Louis Metro Office
Michael has been recognized as one of the nation’s top attorneys in the BTI Client Service All-Stars 2019 report. Client Service All-Stars are nominated exclusively by clients for their superior service, innovative thought leadership and unparalleled legal skills.
Michael represents and advises clients in every area of intellectual property law, including obtaining utility and design patents, trademark registrations and copyright protection worldwide; negotiating and licensing intellectual property rights; conducting due diligence, freedom to operate and patent validity studies; and litigating disputes via the federal courts and Inter Partes Reviews (IPRs). He has argued successfully before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) at the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), and before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Michael also routinely advises foreign counsel about the intricacies of U.S. patent and trademark practice.
- Trademarks & Service Marks
- IP Litigation
- PTAB Proceedings
- IP Transactions
Before attending law school, Michael worked as an electrical engineer for McDonnell Douglas Corporation.
AWARDS & DISTINCTIONS
- Best Lawyers, Patent Law, 2018-2022
- Best Lawyers, Copyright Law, 2019-2022
- Best Lawyers, Trademark Law, 2020-2022
- BTI Client Service All-Star, 2019
- St. Louis Small Business Monthly, “Best Patent Attorney,” 2018
- St. Louis University Public Law Review, Editor
- Martindale® Peer Review, AV Rated®
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (BAMSL), past Board of Governors member, past Chairman of the Patent, Trademark & Copyright Section
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
J.D., cum laude, Saint Louis University School of Law, 1995
B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology, 1990
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Successfully defended all claims of a patent in an Inter Partes Review proceeding on behalf of client Engineered Corrosion Solutions, LLC.
- Secured a favorable settlement on behalf of client Exegy Incorporated, which directly led to the dismissal of a lawsuit involving sixteen patents as well as four co-pending IPRs.