Michael L. Taylor (Mike)
Principal / Detroit Metro Office
Michael’s intellectual property practice includes the preparation and prosecution of patents, freedom to operate and due diligence investigations, and the ongoing protection of patents both in the United States and abroad. Michael is also called upon to evaluate the IP aspects of potential business opportunities and development initiatives, where he analyzes the IP-related risk, viability, and potential reward of such endeavors. He is experienced in the many aspects of chemical, biochemical, and mechanical arts.
Clients and colleagues alike appreciate Michael for his ability to answer complex questions both precisely and quickly. In his second decade of practice, Michael is particularly adept in working with a variety of technologies. Michael also helps individuals and corporations focus on legal and business solutions that overcome possible IP pitfalls while safeguarding important patent assets.
In the News
- Patent Attorney Michael Taylor featured in Detroit Legal News “Get to Know” Article
- Four Harness IP Patent Attorneys featured in Detroit Legal News, January 2, 2015
- “Two-Day Ideation Boot Camp,” Sprout Lab, Muskegon, MI, March 2016
Michael pursued a double major in chemistry and political science as an undergraduate, and worked with Dr. Jack Holmes in researching, writing and editing a book regarding the United States interaction with international politics. In addition, he assisted Dr. Virginia McDonough in her genetic research. Married and a father of four children, Michael currently serves as the Committee Chair of and a den leader for his local Cub Scout Pack.
Awards & Distinctions
- Charles A. King Scholar
- Jurisprudence Book Award, Intellectual Property and International Taxation
- Michigan State University Law Review
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association
- Michigan Bar Association
J.D., magna cum laude, Michigan State University, 2001
B.A., Chemistry, Hope College, 1997
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office