Jennifer R. Turchyn (Jennie)
Associate / Detroit Metro Office
Jennie is dedicated to understanding the connection between innovation and business. With two years of experience as a Production Engineer working on solar shingles, Jennie understands the high stakes of the market and the need for thorough IP protection at all stages of development. Her tireless approach to her practice means that she delivers comprehensive research and high quality work on every matter. Clients also appreciate her ability to boil complex legal matters down to their essential parts and convey that information in an organized, easily understood way.
Jennie’s practice includes preparing and prosecuting patent applications in the mechanical, electromechanical, and chemical arts, as well as preparing patentability opinions for diverse clients. She also has experience in litigation, including legal research, drafting motions, discovery, and jury instructions.
In the News
- At The Bench: Patent Law 2017 Takeaways
- At The Bench: 2017 Mid-Year Case Review
- 2016’s Top Patent and Trade Secret Developments for Chemistry and Nanotechnology
- Enhanced Damages for Willful Infringement
- “Improving Patent Quality Through Post-Grant Claim Amendments: A Comparison of European Opposition Proceedings and U.S. Post-Grant Proceedings,” 114 L. Rev. 1497 (2016),
- Katherine Rhoades and Jennifer Turchyn, “Poaching the American Dream: The U.S. International Trade Commission’s Instrumental Role in Combating Foreign Theft of American Trade Secrets,” 38 ITC TLA 337 REP. – THE PAUL J. LUCKERN SUMMER ASSOC. EDITION 1 (2014).
While pursuing dual degrees in engineering, Jennie worked with a large scale chemical company on the production of calcium chloride and with a heavy equipment manufacturer on the design of agricultural equipment. She is also an accomplished musician and a four-year veteran of the University of Michigan Marching Band.
Awards & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers, Patent Law, “Ones to Watch,” 2022
- Michigan Law Review, Executive Production Editor
- Harness IP Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Pathfinder Program, 2022
J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 2016
B.S.E., Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan 2010
B.S.E., Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan 2010
BAR & COURT ADMISSIONS
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office