Stanley M. Erjavac (Stan)
Principal / Detroit Metro Office
Stan has built his career as a patent attorney by being attentive to the needs of his clients, several of whom he has worked with for more than twenty years. His clients appreciate that he responds to their questions quickly and communicates with them on a daily basis. Before the global pandemic, Stan travelled to Japan every year to meet with his important Japanese clients face to face. Today, he regularly holds virtual meetings with all of his clients to discuss their IP portfolios and strategies for growing them.
Stan applies his former experience as an automotive engineer to provide methodical and effective counsel for managing his clients’ IP. He currently leads a team of patent attorneys who he chooses to handle specific matters on a case-by-case basis depending on their technical expertise. This customized approach leads to stronger patents and greater cost efficiency.
- Manages international patent portfolios for a Tier 1 Auto Supplier, a major research university, and a large rigid product packaging company. Stan has worked with all three clients for more than 20 years each.
- Provides patent counsel to executives, in-house counsel, engineering, and marketing teams on a regular basis, including on-site visits in the U.S. and Japan.
- Holds significant experience in the following technology areas: thermal monitoring, air conditioning systems, head up display systems, automotive safety equipment, fuel pumps, sensors, condensers, navigation, collision prevention, as well as others.
- Experienced in negotiating patent licensing agreements and joint development agreements to capitalize additional revenue.
- Direct: 248.641.1253
- Fax: 248.641.0270
- firstname.lastname@example.org Download vCard
- Intellectual Property Litigation: Pretrial Practice Guide, John Wiley & Sons, 1996 (Supplements 1997 and 1998), contributing author.
In addition to focusing on patent and trademark procurement, Stan’s practice includes drafting licensing and joint development agreements, participating in licensing negotiations, and strategic counseling.
Stan previously worked as an in-house attorney for a major research university, where he negotiated contracts and advised faculty on issues related to intellectual property. This role gives Stan first-hand experience in budget development, research publication, and government acquisition regulations. He also previously worked with two Detroit based firms specializing in insurance defense where he gained considerable experience as a litigator and mediation expert.
Awards & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers, Patent Law, 2021-2023
- Managing Intellectual Property, “IP Stars,” 2014-2022
- DePaul Law Review, Articles and Notes Editor
J.D., DePaul University, 1988
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1984
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office