Harness IP’s Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship provides diverse, first year law students with career mentoring and financial assistance as they explore their interest in intellectual property law, gain a better understanding of working in an intellectual property law firm, and continue to excel in law school.
The Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship includes:
- A paid summer clerkship with Harness IP in one or more of its four Metro offices (Dallas, TX; Detroit, MI; St. Louis, MO; Washington, DC), compensated at Harness IP’s standard summer associate rates.
- A $5,000 Scholarship upon successful completion of the summer clerkship.
- The availability of a mentor, with whom the candidate will work during the summer clerkship period, throughout the following school year.
- An option to renew the Fellowship following the successful completion of a first summer clerkship with Harness IP, based on mutual agreement.
To be eligible for the Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship, candidates must:
- Be a member of one of the underrepresented racial/ethnic groups defined by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, a woman, a member of the LGBTQ community, an individual with a disability, or a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Be in good standing as a law student at an ABA-accredited law school.
- Have a degree in engineering, life sciences, chemistry, computer science, or have substantial prior trademark, copyright, or related job experience.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities and community involvement.
- Contribute to diversity efforts through involvement in law school or other community efforts.
- Be a U.S. citizen or authorized to work in the U.S.
- Complete a clerkship with the firm.
- Have a strong interest in joining Harness IP as an associate after law school graduation.
To be considered as a candidate for the Diversity & Inclusion, candidates must provide the following documents:
- A Completed Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship Application submitted by March 1, 2022 (See link below)
- Current resume
- Undergraduate and law school transcripts
- Personal statement (500 words or more) addressing how the candidate will contribute to the legal profession diversity goals
- Two professional or academic references
- Legal writing sample
- Any other pertinent information the candidate believes may be helpful for the firm to know
A selection panel consisting of the firm CEO and the chairs of various other firm committees, including but not limited to the Diversity & Inclusion Committee, will evaluate all applications and select Program recipients.
Harness IP is currently accepting applications for the 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship. Please submit completed application forms and all attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before March 1, 2022.