Colleen N. Shovlin
Of Counsel / Detroit Metro Office
Colleen enjoys counseling clients during the strategic development of their patent and trademark portfolios. She takes satisfaction in collaborating with innovators to obtain broad patent, trademark, and copyright protection for their inventions, brands, and artistic works, and has more than ten years of experience in obtaining domestic and foreign IP rights for clients in the chemical, mechanical, and material sciences fields, among others.
Colleen’s practice further involves rendering patentability, registrability, and infringement opinions. In addition, she provides support during the transfer and enforcement of intellectual property rights and conducts intellectual property portfolio due diligence analyses. She has successfully represented clients before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and has assisted in enforcing her client’s rights against the acts of counterfeiters and infringers.
- Key patent experience includes U.S. utility patent application drafting and prosecution; counseling inventors; providing recommendations related to patent scope and prosecution strategy; and conducting patentability and freedom to operate searches and opinion work.
- Key trademark experience includes conducting trademark clearance searches and opinion work; registering and handling maintenance of trademarks for products, services, and product designs; instituting and representing clients in Inter Partes proceedings before the TTAB; acquisition and enforcing trademark and copyright rights in e-commerce, including domain name acquisition and registration.
- In addition, Colleen provides IP portfolio management counseling and due diligence reviews of IP portfolios for acquisitions.
- Specific technologies include: energy storage devices, metal alloy compositions and manufacturing processes, coating compositions and processes, glass compositions and manufacture, collapsible shipping containers, exhaust gas treatment systems and control, internal combustion engine components, electric motors, vehicle suspensions, and hydraulic transmissions.
Prior to attending law school, Colleen worked as an environmental engineer for an international cement manufacturing company, where her experience navigating environmental regulations helped her understand some of the environmental and economic challenges facing the manufacturing industry today.
Colleen is an active member of the Women Lawyers Association of Michigan, where she finds inspiration from experienced female lawyers practicing in all areas of law.
In her free time, Colleen enjoys running, cycling, golfing, and cooking for friends and family.
- Michigan Intellectual Property Inn of Court, Member since 2012
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association (MIPLA)
- State Bar of Michigan, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan (WLAM), Technology & Communications Committee and Finance Committee
J.D., Lewis & Clark Law School, 2010
B.S.E., Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan, 2004
Bars & Court Admissions
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Eastern District of Michigan