Michael P. Doerr (Mike)
Principal / Detroit Metro Office
Mike has over 15 years of experience with patent application preparation and prosecution work, with a particular focus on computer and electrical related technologies.
With Mike, clients often feel that they get the benefit of many patent lawyers rolled into one. During his first decade of practice, Mike split his time between litigation matters and patent application work. That foundation of experience has given him a big picture understanding of the factors that can make or break a successful patent or patent challenge. This deeper level of awareness for how to prepare a comprehensive and complete patent application, as well as how to craft thoughtful strategies for prosecution in front of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, makes Mike a truly valuable and trusted advisor for his clients.
Mike’s practice also includes freedom to operate analysis and opinions and trial proceedings before the Patent Office, including Inter Partes and Covered Business Method Review proceedings. Few lawyers bring such a range of experience to their work, and Mike is one of them.
In the News
- Direct: 248.641.1245
- Fax: 248.641.0270
- firstname.lastname@example.org Download vCard
- Mike has authored three annual survey articles in government law, published by the Wayne State Law Review: Annual Survey of Michigan Law: June 1, 2003 – May 31, 2004: Government Law, 51 Wayne L. Rev. 815 (Summer, 2005); Annual Survey of Michigan Law: June 1, 2002 – May 31, 2003: Government Law, 50 Wayne L. Rev. 637 (Summer, 2004); and Annual Survey of Michigan Law: June 1, 2001 – May 31, 2002: Government Law, 49 Wayne L. Rev. 509 (Summer, 2003)
- Java: An Innovation in Software Development and a Dilemma in Copyright Law, 7 J. Intell. Prop. L. 127 (1999).
Mike received his Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from the University of Michigan (B.S., 1997) and his law degree from the University of Georgia (J.D., cum laude, 1999).
Mike routinely handles applications involving software, networks, electronics, and electromechanical devices, including applications related to autonomous vehicles, advanced driver-assistance systems, vehicle safety systems, navigation, cloud-based monitoring and diagnostic systems for HVAC and building automation, the Internet of Things (IoT), website applications, and related technology areas.
Mike serves mostly large, global businesses in need of truly pragmatic solutions for their patent needs. He is able to quickly familiarize himself with new innovations and work closely with his clients to develop patent strategies that align with their business goals.
Awards & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers, Litigation — Patent and Patent Law, 2016-2022
- Best Lawyers, Litigation — Intellectual Property, 2021-2022
- Best Lawyers, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation – Patent, Patent Law, 2023
- Managing Intellectual Property, “IP Stars,” 2014-2022
- World IP Review, Patent Leader, 2022
- Michigan Bar Association
- University of Michigan Alumni Association
- University of Michigan Club of Greater Detroit
- University of Georgia Alumni Association
J.D., cum laude, University of Georgia, 1999
B.S., Computer Science, University of Michigan, 1997
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Eastern District of Michigan
Eastern District of Texas