Joseph E. Walsh, Jr. (Joe)
Principal / St. Louis Metro Office
Joe began his legal career as in-house counsel to a leading petrochemical company. Since then, he has had the great privilege of serving as a trusted advisor to a variety of multinational clients — frequently setting up office within his client’s facilities and working side-by-side with in-house counsel. Joe strives to see matters and legal issues through the eyes of his clients, specifically taking into account their objectives and resources. Joe is committed to delivering high-quality legal advice that makes good business sense at a cost that doesn’t surprise.
Joe develops and executes large and small-scale IP strategies alike in virtually every part of the industrialized world. He facilitates these projects utilizing carefully selected, high-caliber and reliable foreign counsel — all of whom he has worked with personally. Joe negotiates and drafts a full array of IP agreements, including sophisticated research, joint-development, technology-transfer and licensing agreements. He delivers legal and business solutions to even the most complicated patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret and related litigation and licensing matters. Joe has particular experience in merger, acquisition and divestiture transactions, and he has a reputation for conducting IP due diligence investigations on-time and in-budget.
Resolving IP disputes effectively and in alignment with his client’s commercial objectives is another skill Joe possesses. Frequently, Joe succeeds in resolving even the most complex controversies short of litigation, thus saving his clients both time and money.
Awards & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers, “Trademark Lawyer of the Year” in St. Louis, 2015
- Best Lawyers, Trademark Law, 2013-2024
- Best Lawyers, Patent Law, 2018-2024
- Best Lawyers, Copyright Law, 2019-2024
- Best Lawyers, Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2024
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM), “Patent 1000,” 2021-2023
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review, AV Rated®
- Missouri Super Lawyers, 2021, 2022
- Irish Legal 100, 2019
- St. Louis Business Journal’s “Go-To Lawyer,” Technology
- St. Louis Small Business Monthly, “Top Business Attorneys,” 2021
- St. Louis Small Business Monthly, “Best Attorney in St. Louis,” 2019, 2020
- Titan 100, 2022
- World Trademark Review, “WTR 1000,” 2022
- American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis: Past Chairman, Patent, Trademark and Copyright Section; Past Governing Member
- International Trademark Law Association
- Washington University School of Law, Intellectual Property Curriculum Advisory Board
- Villa Duchesne/Oak Hill School, Former Vice-Chairman, Board of Trustees
J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, 1986
Graduate coursework toward M.S. in Materials Science, University of Texas
B.S., Chemistry and Business, University of Scranton, 1982
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Eastern District of Missouri
United States Supreme Court
In the News
- Four Harness IP Lawyers Named to 2023 Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers Lists
- Joe Walsh Discusses New Copyright Infringement Risks for ISPs and Subscribers, Intellectual Property Watch, March 21, 2018
- "Antennas Direct seeks monetary damages for allegedly false patent infringement claim," St. Louis Record, May 1, 2017
- Harness IP Attorneys to Lead Enterprise University St. Louis Course, "The Technology Pre-Nup: Protecting Your Intellectual Property When Working with Others"
- Harness IP Attorneys Set to Present Enterprise University Course, "The Technology Pre-Nup: Protecting Your Intellectual Property When Working with Others"
- Harness IP Attorneys Present Enterprise University Course on Unfair Competition
Joe is a frequent speaker on many intellectual property topics.
- "Has LIV Golf ‘Fallen’ Into a Sticky Trademark Infringement Web?" – Harness IP’s Joe Walsh Pens Law360 Article
- Harness IP Attorneys Share Strategies to Avoid IP Lawsuits in Business Journal Article
- "IP Litigation And Portfolio Management Tips," The St. Louis Bar Journal, January 17, 2012
- Joseph E. Walsh Jr. and Michael Kella Offer Protective Steps for Software Purchasers in The Licensing Journal
- IP Considerations for Source Code Acquisitions: Measure Twice and Cut Once
- Five IP Lessons for Small to Medium–sized Businesses
- IP Considerations for Source Code Acquisitions: Measure Twice and Cut Once in Volume 42, #6 of The Licensing Journal