Vivek S. Thakur
Patent Agent / Washington, D.C. Metro Office
Vivek serves some of the firm’s largest clients, with efficient, detail-oriented, patent prosecution in the chemical and electromechanical arts. He prepares and prosecutes US utility patent applications for clients in industries including semiconductor processing, devices, and manufacturing; aerosol-generating devices; chemical compositions; and image sensors.
Vivek’s careful claim drafting, diligent filing, and creative prosecution strategies are tailored to each client and case, as he integrates his efficient handling of individual matters with long-term protection and growth of his clients’ IP.
Drawing upon his experience as a patent prosecution specialist, laboratory researcher, and USPTO extern involved in the field of nanosensors, Vivek understands and relates to the unique challenges his clients face as they create and foster their patent portfolios.
Vivek effectively utilizes his varied, accomplished background to enhance his current practice.
Prior to working as a Patent Agent, Vivek was a patent prosecution specialist at Harness IP, assisting patent attorneys in all phases of filing prosecution. Vivek also externed with the USPTO in Technology Center 1700, performing searches, claim mapping, and helping draft Office Actions in the field of nanosensors.
At the University of South Carolina, Vivek often presented his work as an undergraduate researcher in materials science, analytical biochemistry, and science and technology studies. His capstone project compared USC’s IP thrust in polymer nanocomposites with an optical spectroscopy start-up based on USC IP.
Vivek also participated in graduate-level HIV-vaccine-related immunology research at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine.
He is a certified mediator with the Community Dispute Resolution Center of Boston, MA.
Vivek also worked as a manager in the hospitality field, an experience that informs his client focused approach.
- Hindi (fluent)
- Japanese (speaking)
- Spanish (basic)
Outside the office, Vivek enjoys watching sports, walking in nature, and traveling with family.
- Completed Patent Examination Externship in USPTO Technology Center 1700 (chemical sensors).
- Worked in IP-focused lab at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, assisting with graduate-level experiments related to HIV-vaccine technology and immunology.
- Assisted materials scientists from academia and industry in advancing a patent portfolio of polymer nanocomposites which was valued at more than $10 million.
B.S., with honors from SC Honors College, Chemistry, minor in Biology, 2007
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S Patent and Trademark Office
- George W. Waring Memorial Scholarship, (senior merit award in biology), University of South Carolina Department of Biological Sciences, 2006
- Nano-Scholar (grant in science and tech studies), National Science Foundation, 2005, 2006
- Magellan Scholar (grant in analytical biochemistry), University of South Carolina Office of Undergraduate Research, 2006
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellowship (grant in polymer nanocomposites), 2005
- “Best Neuroscience Article” (“An undergraduate course on publishing in neuroscience,” above), Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience, 2006
- 1st Prize Poster (business category), “Two Roads from Laboratory to Commercial Product” (above), Discover USC, 2006
- Editor, Impulse undergraduate neuroscience journal, 2005-2007
- USC Academic Team, 2004-2007
“Structural and mechanical characterization of nanoclay-reinforced agarose nanocomposites,” Nanotechnology, 2005
“An undergraduate course on publishing in neuroscience,” Journal for Undergraduate Neuroscience Education, June 2006
“Two Roads from Laboratory to Commercial Product”
- Nano Seminar, University of Bergen, Norway, 2007
- Commerce and Politics of Science, Notre Dame University, 2006
- Discover USC, 2006 (winning poster)